Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 15

Today was a travel day from Grangeville to Coeur d'Alene. For the past few days I have looked at the scenery and wondered "Where am I?" The beautiful landscape has been totally unfamiliar to me. As we left the prairie, the rolling hills of wheat looked like a giant bright green golf course covering miles and miles. Once we crossed the mountains towards Lewiston, we found the hills to be covered with brown grass and reminiscent of Northern California.
Of course we had to have our little Problems of the Day! We pulled over on the side of the road and Chig went back to the bathroom. I was reading and suddenly had an odd feeling. When I looked up, I realized we were moving backwards. The motorhome was in reverse instead of park. I jumped into the driver's seat, hit the brakes and put the RV in park. Poor Chig had no idea what was going on as he was bounced around the bathroom. Fortunately, we were only on a slight incline and no harm was done to the tow car (or to Chig).
Our next problem came when I checked the travel binder and could not find the confirmation of our reservations for Couer d'Alene. I quickly called the park and learned we did NOT have reservations. I was initally told they were totally full but with some encouragement from me (begging) a site was found but only for two instead of three nights.
Our final problem came when we realized the battery in our tow car had drained. Fortunately one of the workers here in the park got it started for us.
After getting situated we drove into town. I was surprised at how large the downtown area is.
We then drove to Sandpoint (about 45 miles), walked around for a while and had dinner at a waterfront restaurant on Lake Pend Oreille.
During our drive we noticed the highway notification boards have the message "Look Twice, Motorcycles are Everywhere" - it is true - this area has many many of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment